The library welcomes the use of its meeting rooms for activities of civic, cultural, intellectual, charitable, or educational nature by groups who agree to observe the Library rules. The public is welcome to attend all meetings, except those for which a fee is paid to the library. Business use includes meetings, training, informational sessions, and client meetings. Businesses may not charge people to attend. Retail activities are not allowed. The rooms may not be used for purely social purposes which include but are not limited to, private birthday parties, baby showers or entertainment.
The Calvert Library, its Board of Trustees and employees assume no responsibility for the actions, opinions, or expressed points of view of the organization that sponsor or host meetings or the individuals who attend meetings and events on library premises.
Applications for the use of the meeting rooms may be made up to six months in advance. Library programs have first priority for use of the meeting rooms. Groups may be asked to reschedule when a library program is planned. Reservations may be made online or in person. The schedule is posted online and may be viewed from the library home page, calvertlibrary.info.
Any organization using a meeting room will be financially responsible for any damage that may occur during the organization’s use of the room or for any custodial care required after the meeting.
Non-profit organizations and government agencies – no charge
Businesses will pay the following fees:
Large Meeting Rooms at Fairview or Southern and Meeting Rooms at Prince Frederick
Use of one meeting room up to 4 hours – $50.00
Continued use of the same room beyond 4 hours – additional $50.00
Small Meeting Room at Fairview
Use up to 4 hours – $25.00
Continued use beyond 4 hours – additional $25.00
Fees must be paid no later than 10 days after the initial request or the tentative booking will be cancelled by the library. If the use of the room is cancelled within 48 hours of the meeting, a $25.00 administration fee will be retained by the library. Additional fees will be returned to the organization.
There will be no charge for use of the tutoring rooms and group study room in Prince Frederick, Southern or Fairview.
- Application for the use of a meeting room should be made at least 24 hours in advance. The applicant will be held responsible for seeing that the policy is upheld. The name and contact information of the applicant is available for public viewing.
- If a meeting is canceled, the library should be notified as far in advance of the date as possible. When the library closes due to emergencies such as bad weather, the group scheduled to use the meeting room will be notified as early as possible.
- All members of the organization and the audience attending meetings must vacate the building by 9:00 p.m. on Monday through Thursday, and by 5:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Meeting rooms are not available when the library is closed.
- Any organization using a meeting room will be responsible for setting up the room according to its own needs. The library staff will have no responsibility. The organization or group using the room must restore the furniture and the room to the order shown on the plan posted on the wall. Set up and clean up must occur within the reserved time for the meeting.
- No items are to be attached to or hung on the walls.
- Youth organizations using a meeting room must have at least one adult (21 or over) present at all times.
- No admissions fee may be charged nor may a collection be taken. No funds may be solicited or direct sales made. The only exceptions are in the case of paid registrations at conferences or institutes, or payments of fees for regularly scheduled education courses. Sale of appropriate items by an educational program presenter is allowed.
- Light refreshments, excluding alcoholic beverages, may be served, but organizations are required to provide their own utensils.
- Loud noise or any use of the room which disturbs library customers is prohibited. Any organization may be refused the use of a meeting room if the noise level is expected to interfere with library business.
- Smoking is not permitted.
- No group will use the library as a mailing address.
- Any publicity must list the name of the organization sponsoring the meeting. Publicity must include the statement “This is not a library-sponsored program.”
- No group will store materials at the library.
- The library is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- No animals are allowed except Assistance Animals.
- If an organization misses two consecutive meetings without prior notification, future room use may be canceled.
- Signs outside of meeting rooms are subject to the Bulletin Board & Pamphlet Table policy.
- Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Director.
Approved, Board of Library Trustees, November 21, 1995.
Revised, June 19, 2001
Revised, April 15, 2003
Revised September 19, 2006, to be effective November 1, 2006
Revised, December 18, 2012
Revised, September 17, 2013